Thursday, February 27, 2014

Trimming My Beard

So, one of the more visible aspects of being a man is facial hair.  Generally speaking, the fairer sex does not have much (if any) facial hair.  Having a mustache or beard is very much a man's thing.

I am at a point where I want to grow my first beard.  I always shaved in high school, and then when I was in the service.  When I got out and started a corporate job - kept on shaving.  But now, I am working from a home office.  Since I no longer have a specific dress code that I have to abide by, I am looking to grow a full beard.

Now, I want to keep things looking nice.  I do not want one of those ugly neck beards.  I want something that is kept professional, but is more than just a "I forgot to shave" look.

A good friend of mine suggested I look at getting a beard trimmer to help me keep things well groomed.  So, I went online and checked around for different options.  I was amazed to see that there are many, many choices when it comes to beard grooming.  The best place I found to help me sort through the options is carfreeuniverse.org.  They had a great list of the best beard trimmers and a sortable table that helped me find what I needed.

What trimmer did I decide to go with?  A Philips Norelco beard trimmer called the QT4070.  It has an amazing built-in vacuum that sucks away the cut whiskers.  The vacuum means my girlfriend is not yelling at me for creating a mess.

What do you like to use?  I'm still using a regular razor to get my neck and do some fine edge work, but I really like the Norelco.  I had a Norelco electric razor when I was still in the service, and it lasted a long time.  So I have very high expectations for this unit.

I spoke with my father the other day, and he gave me some of his tips for keeping a neatly trimmed beard.  He had one for years while I was growing up, and I guess my desire to have a beard now comes from that.  It has been said that as we grow older, we turn into our parents, and maybe that is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment